Australian Visa

Australian Visa

Based on your study plans, here is some information on the different types of education-related Australian visas.

Student visa (subclass 500)

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500), which allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised educational institution.

You are eligible if you are at least six years old, have been accepted to study at an educational institution, and have health insurance. The length of stay is upto 5 years under this type of visa.

Those who are sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) or Department of Defence to undertake a full-time course of study or training in Australia, are required to get a Student visa (subclass 500). Prior to 1 July 2016, this visa used to be subclass 576 which is now no longer issued. The family members of subclass 576 visa holders who would like to join the student in Australia will now need to apply for a Student visa (subclass 500 visa).

If family members must join you, then you should have included them in your visa application. After you have been granted your visa, they can join as a subsequent entrant but do remember that you must have declared them in your student visa application otherwise they will not be eligible. Please check the list of documents that need to be submitted for their application.

If you wish to study more than one course, you may be able to bundle courses together.

All international students must meet minimum English language requirements. You may be required to provide the results of an English Language test that demonstrates your proficiency in the language. Please visit this link for more information on additional requirements for student visas.

All students must meet certain financial capacity requirements, showing that they have sufficient money to pay for travel, course fees and living costs for the period of stay in Australia.

Health insurance is also an important consideration. OSHC, or Overseas Student Health Cover provides medical and hospital insurance for student visa holders. OSHC can be purchased online by visiting the OSHC insurer's website, or you can check with your educational institution.

Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

The Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student who is younger than 18 years of age and is studying in Australia on a student visa. To apply, you must be the legal guardian or parent of the child, have enough money to support yourself and the student during the entire period, be at least 21 years old and must be able to provide accommodation and other needs. The length of stay is upto 5 years for this category as well.

Training visa (subclass 407)

This visa allows you to participate in a workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study, or field of expertise; or undertake a professional development training programme in Australia. If your sole intention is to work, you are not eligible.

You must be nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency), have received an invitation (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency), and must usually be at least 18 years of age. The length of stay is upto 2 years.

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

The Temporary Graduate visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. They can stay in Australia temporarily after finishing their studies.​​ To get this visa, you must be under 50 years of age, hold an eligible visa, hold a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course and must also meet additional requirements of the relevant stream. Conditions apply with regard to the qualification itself. It should be related to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (Graduate Work stream), or should be a higher education degree (Post-Study Work stream). The length of stay is 18 months for a Graduate Work stream and 2 to 4 years for Post-Study Work stream.

Visiting and studying

Short term courses are available which can help students to explore the country while gaining a new skill. To learn more, visit this link.

Please visit to get in-depth updated information on student visas in Australia.

Business Hours Call MWT Consultancy Kochi, toll free: 18001034464 Call MWT Consultancy Kottayam, toll free: 18001034464 MailImage Live chat with MWT Consultancy Live chat with MWT Consultancy Refer MWT Consultancy, to a friend

Quick Contact

Our Courses