New Zealand Visa

New Zealand Visa

All overseas students who are coming to New Zealand to study for more than 3 months must get a student visa. If you wish to undertake short courses for no more than three calendar months total duration, then a student visa is not required- a visitor visa will suffice. If you hold a temporary visa of 24 months or more validity, you can study in one or more courses for a total study duration of not more than 3 months in a 12 month period.

Student visa requirements include the following:

  • An offer of place from an education provider approved by the NZQA (New Zealand  Qualifications Authority). This must include the education provider’s full details, the name of the course and the minimum time for completing it.
  • A written guarantee from an institution or person that suitable accommodation is available to you in New Zealand (if you're under 18 years).
  • Health and character requirements must be met. Those spending six months or more may be screened for tuberculosis. For courses longer than 12 months, please provide medical and x-ray certificates. If you’re over 17 and intending to be in New Zealand for over two years, a police certificate will be required to show  that you are of good character.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to live on while you are studying. This evidence may include enough money held in New Zealand by you or on your behalf, or sponsorship by an acceptable sponsor to cover accommodation and living costs. Financial assistance is also available under Government aid programs.
  • A return air ticket to your country, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one must be indicated.
  • You must hold a passport that is valid for at least three months past your expected duration of stay.


New Zealand has working schemes with Argentina, Austria, Chile, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Uruguay, Canada, Germany, Japan, Taiwan and the UK, and such students can do one or more courses of study as long as their total duration doesn’t exceed six months.


Students who have been offered a place in an approved genuine exchange scheme can apply for a student visa for the duration of their exchange, provided health and character requirements are met.

YOU DO NOT NEED A STUDENT VISA IF… you are a citizen of New Zealand or Australia, you hold a New Zealand residence class visa, or you are the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa.  However, if there are conditions on your Australian permanent residence visa or resident return visa, then you will need to apply for a student visa.

For more detailed options, please visit:

Business Hours Call MWT Consultancy Kochi, toll free: 18001034464 Call MWT Consultancy Kottayam, toll free: 18001034464 MailImage Live chat with MWT Consultancy Live chat with MWT Consultancy Refer MWT Consultancy, to a friend

Quick Contact

Our Courses