If you’re like most of us, you would find yourself cringing at the cost of an overseas study program! With the rising fees of tuition and living, scholarships are like manna from heaven for the aspiring student. Studying abroad is an expensive proposition indeed, but the benefits that you will get far outweigh the costs involved. After weighing the pros and cons, if you still want to study overseas but are not sure how to fund yourself, then here are some valuable tips to get around the prohibitive price tags!
Many students opt for part time jobs in a related field, summer internships or teaching assistantships to take the edge off their fees. But you can also try to obtain scholarships and grants that are made available to international students to help them fund their studies. Many students are not aware of the wide range of funding that is available, and miss out on opportunities just because they have not applied on time. You can always check online to keep yourself updated with the latest scholarship list.
Here are some pointers:
- Federal financial aid is offered in the form of government grants and loans that can be used towards study abroad. You will find a Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA online at the US Department of Education FAFSA website . Make sure that all the details are filled out correctly.
- Google is your best resource- keep checking online to find financial aid options available for the study abroad program that you have chosen.
- Check the Government education website for your country of choice to see if they are offering any aid to international students.
- Visit your Overseas Education Consultant’s office as they will be in the best position to give you advice on available funding.
- Other sources of information may be a good financial aid office which can advise you on about potential funding sources.
- Check local organizations like Rotary clubs, education associations, student groups,etc. to see if they offer scholarships.
- Some popular online portals include: www.scholarshipportal.com , www.fastweb.com , www.studyinaustralia.gov.au , www.topuniversities.com .
Typically, the institution or organisation offering the scholarships will have a set of conditions that must be fulfilled by the student. All applications have to be done directly with the scholarship provider, and recommendations do not work. Make sure that you read all the fine print carefully, and fill out the form in accurate detail. If you are required to write an essay for your application, do so honestly and do not try to be someone you are not. If you embellish your achievements and provide false information, your scholarship will be revoked when the truth comes out!
Make a comprehensive list of all the scholarships that you could apply for, note down the deadlines for application and contact the organisation offering the scholarship well ahead of time. Do not skip any steps when filling out the form. Here again, your Overseas Education Consultant can help you to make sure the form is correct in all aspects.
Good luck in your education journey!